Sunday, September 26, 2010

"I was taking notes at a fantastic rock-n-roll concert going on in my head" - Jim Morrison

Fans of the station often ask me where I came up with the idea for Pluto Radio.  Although the following statements are not the only thoughts put into the making of this commercial free radio stream, they do address the core essential beginning of Pluto Radio.

So...  I ended up in Los Angeles one night - not so long ago.  Hiding out from the ever present elements of the evil eyeball (the government).., or a groupie.., or stalker Kimmy or something...  And I ended up with a buddy of mine who was shooting video of hip hop artist TITO CALLOWAY at a music club in Venice.  And so I sat through, like, 3 or 4 bands waiting for Calloway to take the stage.  There was an acoustic punk band, followed by an alternative rock group with an accordion, followed by a chick who sang songs in French (don't have any idea what she was singing about, but she looked sexy and was pleasant on the ol' temporal bone), and I remember thinking "how is it that all these different artists blend so well together...?"  Then came Mr. Calloway and his live crew and they rocked the joint hard.  Calloway had two hot chick singers (one by the name of Chuck - love you Chuck!) fronting with him that night, along with a hot hendrixesque lady guitar player, grunge bass & drums, and a keyboardist with arrangements straight from Leon Russell's fingertips.  Calloway and his crew destroyed the joint! (info - TITO CALLOWAY  http://titocalloway.com/fr_home.cfm)

Making my way up to Red Mountain the next day I couldn't help but think about the eclectic mix of music I had experienced the night before, and I thought about all the music I like, and, somewhere between those two considerations I came up with the idea of Pluto Radio.

That's it for now,  My best from the great American desert.
Lee-