Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Lynn Stokes ..

Lynn Stokes & Sol Surfers from Texas Austin
CONNECT:  Band Website <>

Artist History

The song Sacred Moon's Light was selected by the Progressive Rock Hall of Fame to be included in their forthcoming compilation CD, Soundscapes Volume One. This is being mailed to 1000 record labels, reviewers and radio stations.  http://www.progressiverockhalloffame.com/cds.htm

Spending my early days in Austin, Texas in the 1970’s allowed me to experience and witness a wide variety of exceptional musicians and musical trends; from the Cosmic Cowboy country scare to the electric blues revival of the Vaughan brothers. Concentrating mainly as a guitar player led me to playing with a variety of bands and musical styles throughout my career and working with talented songwriters whose songwriting crafts did not go unnoticed. One of the highlights of those days was opening for Bob Dylan in 1991 in front of 5000 people and getting great reviews in the music press.

While researching my family’s Scottish and English heritage in 2001, I came across a body of songs which captivated me to the point where I decided I had to record and perform them. The CD is titled Off To Sea Once More.  The songs are ballads and sea shanties some of which date back several hundred years. The melodies are haunting, their rhythms suggesting the bobbing of the tall sail ships, and their lyrics tell the colorful stories of the joys and hardships of the men whose lives were dependent on the world’s oceans. Using existing lyrics that pre-dated recorded music allowed me the freedom to reinterpret the songs and write the music and melodies to fit the words. This project left a lasting impression and inspired me to begin song writing in earnest.

The Sol Surfers were formed in 2007 by Lynn Stokes to showcase new original material.  All members of the group have extensive professional experience performing live for many years. The band plays original songs with a classic rock feel blending the sounds of soul music with the rhythms and chord structure of surf-rock and new-age, retro-psychedelic.